Monday, January 9, 2012

Run on Kennesaw Mountain with Mira

There are multiple entries in my journal for this particular date stating "it was the perfect run" regarding the run I had with Mira last weekend.

I am back in training for the 2012 Tri season and also the first Marathon which will be in November, 2012.  The goals are set: 3 Sprint Tri's; 1 Olympic Tri and 1 (the first), Marathon. 

Mira is in the best condition that I've ever had a dog.  She's thin, but very, very strong and has more heart for the run right now than I've seen her show in all her seven years.  She is so driven that I am actually drawn to get out on nights that I would otherwise stay home because she give me the "stare" of a working dog who is ready to work.

My only complaint on a trail with her is that she's determined to work on the wrong side of the path.  This issue stems from our long history of running on the road and following road rules whereby we run into traffic; on the trail you run with traffic as if you're a vehicle on the road.  Both situations make sense, but to her we're simply wrong on the trail going with the flow.  I may take time to train the difference in her this season, but after this last run, I'm in no hurry.
A week ago we ventured out to Kennesaw Mountain.  I wanted to traverse the 5.5 mile out and back from Burnt Hickory Road to the Illinois Monument. This route would give some hill work for me (intending at this point to run the first marathon in San Francisco in October, 2012 which has now been changed to Chickamagua Battlefield Marathon in November, 2012), while giving her some gravel to toughen her pads relatively early in what is "trail season" for us.  This will allow us to get in longer runs on more difficult terrain in late January and February.

She was not particularly affected by her surroundings, but rather focused on the task at hand on this day.  She merely glanced at the 2 white tails loping across the trail ahead of us as we began the assent to Powder Springs Road.  There was neither hesitation nor urgency in her trot as we watched them disappear into the woods ahead of us.

She has good instincts, in most regards.  She will find the hard pack on the trail very quickly to avoid slipping and snagging on the loose gravel.  She steps aside willingly for passing canines.  I don't have to think as much when I'm with her about our surroundings as I do/have with others before her.  It gives me more time to enjoy the trail and my dog.
By we had turned at the monumnet and began our descent from Powder Springs Road to the bridge, I had enough trust in her to let go and run the downhills. for the first time.  Loose gravel sliding and rolling under my feet would normally keep me at a walk with a short and tight lead on her.  But today felt liberating, fresh and new.  We easily trotted from Powder Springs Road to the bridge eventually following the path to the parking lot and back to the truck.

All in all we had 4 White Tail cross our path within view.  Many, many squirrels; one standard poodle (that had a mutual affection for her); a 12 year old mix that stole my heart and caused me to smile from ear to ear; and a couple of small children who would have never gotten a moment of Mira's time had they not had sticky food on their faces that required investigation.  She worked with me the entire 5.5 miles.  It was the best run I've ever had with a dog - this dog is special.

No comments:

Post a Comment