Sunday, February 19, 2012

Nutritional Balance for Trail Runs

This "winter" season has proven to be a challenge to run with a Siberian for distances over a 5k.  The climate has been damp and warm for the most part.  On days we start by 7:30 am, we've been lucky if we finish before the temps climb into the mid to upper 40's; and often we've been out near 60 degrees.  Granted we're not fast, and she's not pulling a load as a sled dog would, but still she's definitely working for and with me on the trail.  Because of the increased temperature, coupled with my need to continue to add mileage, I've worked hard to come to a reasonable solution that gives both of us a nutritional boost on the trail at mile 3 or so, and lets the finish come with less fatigue.  It's no fun to go for a run and then come home exhausted and wiped out for the rest of the day.  The next few paragraphs outline the routine we've taken up that I think has serverd us very well during these days that feel more like early fall or spring than January and February.

Me:  Pre-run, I drink plenty of water and have either a half of a protein shake (I make myself) or a half of an Organics brand protein bar (very tasty and vegan/gluten free to boot).  I pack a small bag of trail mix (from Publix; peanuts, raisins, M&M's and almonds) with some dried apricots and extra almonds for an easy boost on the trail.  And of course there's water, lots of water.  I pack a bottle to have enroute, and leave a bottle in the truck for the ride home.  I also pack two bottles on my hiking/running belt for the trail. The trail mix is simple and not opposed to cold or warm weather, I can grab a few nibbles quickly plus I get the extra benefit of a little salt, since I can and do sweat at any climate.  Post-run I finish the protein bar or shake, the remainder of my trail mix and take in lots of water on the way home.

Mira: I have learned that getting up within 45 minutes of our regular Monday thru Friday alarm time and giving her the normal cereal breakfast meal with a little extra portion of cereal works well.  By the time she's eaten, I'm packed, we're loaded, and drive to the trail; she's had a good hour and a half to two hours to settle her morning meal, so I have little fear of digestive issues.  Once we stop for a water and nutrition break, she gets water, a small handful of kibble, some dried salmon (current favorite Wellness brand), and a Zuke's power bone.  We've tested this little goodie bag of nutrition in 90 degree weather while hiking in the Asheville area as well as the trails here at home in temps ranging from 20 degrees to 60+ degrees; the food survives well and doesn't get sticky or messy in the heat (of course nothing is ever left in direct sunlight, it's alaways on my person).  Breaks don't last long with her because she doesn't care to stop moving much more than I do, so before I have the water bowl and bottle packed back into my pack, she's usually leaning into the lead toward the trail. I have taken this desire to continue the trail to be a good sign that we're on the right track with the proper nutritional support her body demands.

Post-run and after we're cooled down a bit, it's back to the truck where I check her feet, legs, shoulders and spine to be sure I don't find any signs of soreness.  Once she passes inspection, so to speak, she's into her crate for a long drink and a heavier load of her mix from the trail. I stretch her and I back at home - I will do a little stretching of my quads and hamstrings there, but I prefer to spend some good time stretching after I've chilled out.  She is always receptive to a good stretch and rub once we're back at the house too.  At the truck she is more focused on getting to the food, so if I take the time to stretch her there it just causes irritation between us as she twists and bucks and tries to get into her crate.

There were a few challenges in finding the right nutritional mix of things for both of us.  I tried several food items for me and her that didn't hold up well to the humidity or heat; most trail bars were too cumbersome to handle on the trail and then there's the wrapper that has to be packed back and thrown away later.

We don't feed kibble here as the dogs have been on a raw diet for nearly a year now.  So the challenge of obtaining kibble for this purpose only became an odd prospect when I began the season this year.  Buying a bag of food that wasn't going to be used except on weekends seemed potentially wasteful, yet I wanted to be sure that what I was providing for her on the these runs was actually nutrition; I save "treats" and "cookies" for training behaviors.  One day while checking out of a boutique that we purchase supplements for the dogs from the cashier offered me a sample bag/serving of a natural kibble they carry.  Bingo, I happily took it and two more.  They are good, natural, nutritionally sound kibble products and they come in really small amounts!  So now we keep a couple of sample bags of kibble from good nutritious products on hand.  I am able to provide her with variety in both flavor and ingredients, while knowing I've just given her something that will serve us well on our travels and recovery.

Happy trails and wagging tails :)

1 comment: