Sunday, June 8, 2014

Red Top Mountain

Dave and I spent many weekend mornings with the dogs at Red Top a few years back.  There's something about seeing the water in the morning with the fog rising off it that settles me.


I haven't made a trip to Red Top since before we had Stetson.  It seems odd that it would have taken so long to bring him here.  But as soon as I put my foot on the trail and felt the bulging tree roots underneath, I knew why I had been away so long.  Memories began to flood over me.  All of our Siberians had run or hiked that mountain with us, often we took Nakeeta, Magic, Maddie and Mira at the same time.  We have had some crazy encounters with other hikers and dogs up there; dogs that liked us, dogs our pack didn't like.  I have crashed and burned on more than one occasion with Madison and/or Nakeeta on the other end of the leash up on those trails and we have also danced many glorious dances bounding over the tree roots and through the ever changing topography of the mountain.  Memories began to flood me and the corners of my mouth turned into this grin seemingly designed to catch the salty tears falling from my eyes.  Such good times to be grateful for.

And today was no different, another soul cleansing memory was made.  Stetson felt perfect under the leash in my hand.  He looks like he's almost floating on the trail.  On the wet, dirt and pine needle coated surface, I can barely hear his feet strike the path.  I wish I could be so light on my feet.


One of my favorite places to stop is near the lodge by a small cove.  There's this old broken log across the water that makes me think of Tom Sawyer for some weird reason.  Sometimes Madison and Mira would like to get their feet wet in the lake, but Stetson prefers his feet to stay on land.  Someday I'll see if he can swim, but I wasn't dressed for that today.



I love catching the reflection of the trees in the morning light.  And of course there was the most handsome dog sitting next to me...



Do not hide from your memories, instead run toward that which creates memories for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment