Monday, December 29, 2014

Turning a Puppy into a Dog



He's delightful.  Full of energy, spunk, curiosity and a true zest for life.  He is life.  There is nothing mundane about him and running with him began in just that fashion; spunky, excited, jerky, lunging, loping, crossing behind, crossing in front, tripping Stetson...you name any act of excitement and he exhibited it.

Since we began running on the road again recently, Edge has picked up the qualities of a running partner that I desire.  He's not pulling, much, hmmm less than he did, oh heck let's just say it's "better".  He has begun to understand that "left" or "right" means he needs to turn; he doesn't yet understand which way, but at least he knows it means turn.  He doesn't try to pick up odd stuff in the road, rarely attempts to pull off to pee on something and generally has an attitude of let's do this!



Fast forward - I wrote the first two paragraphs of this post a couple of weeks ago.  Not really caring if Edge ever became a really good partner for me outside of dog sports or not.  I have perfection already, I have Stetson.  His stride, mild manner, slightly aloof character and willingness to work with me on the run as well if not better than he does in Obedience was more than I could have dreamed of.  He has taken me to levels of confidence and performance that I didn't know I had fuel for.  Sigh.  He has again come up sore and painful.  I am careful, I am always thinking about performance and conditioning and long term impact/goals.  In spite of my methods, he has been taken out of the run until after stem cell (previously decided upon for February) and then likely on a limited basis as compared to our "norm".


 
Here we are on Hilton Head Island for vacation and I find myself intentionally turning a puppy into a dog.  I have this extra time to work with Edge to meld our two very different styles into a working team.  Dave and I are walking the boys every morning on the beach and they are getting additional potty walks during the day and evening as needed/desired so training opportunities are plenty.  He is so sweet and so willing to please.  I know we aren't going to be great partners yet, but I can see the potential.  I see us coming together every time we are out with Stetson for walks on the beach.

Edge and I will be off to the beach in the morning and headed into a three miler, just the two of us.  Puppy and I.

Happily looking forward, and hoping that what is in my rear view mirror will always be a pleasant reflection of what I intended to create.


No comments:

Post a Comment