Sunday, January 6, 2013

Princess Maddie Rules the Run

Relynka's Maiden Voyage, MX MXJ
She's the biggest thrill I've ever attached to a leash, or turned loose from a leash.  She's the one that caused my heart to pound so hard it felt as though it would explode through my chest when we were competing in Agility.  Just to hear the thunder of her feet as she turned while landing from a jump that I called too late; listening to her "ugh" when she anticipated a call I wasn't yet ready to make; seeing her breath in the frosty morning air - Madison, Princess, Maddie, Sissy, Sis.  She's the one that has always made me know exactly where my moment of total loss of self control happens; it's her, simply being with her, running with her, feeling her energy and her power next to me.  She took me places in Agility that I only thought maybe I'd like to go.  She didn't dance, she thundered.  You knew she was there, vocally and from the energy she created with her movement.


Young Maddie - probably 2002 or 2003
Today she's given me yet another one of those moments.  Another thrill that only someone who is willing to wear their heart on their sleeve when it comes to their dogs is ever going to feel.  She owned the 5k at the Chattahoochee River this morning.  There were times that I didn't even know anyone else was around; and I wasn't the one holding her leash.  She ran with Dave as always, but today was special somehow.  Watching her this morning took me back to days when it was just she and I pounding dirt together.

Sis in her prime - probably 2005 or 2006



The conditions weren't ideal for a Siberian to run today.  It was damp.  The temperature was right at 38 degrees, certainly too warm for much distance with a northern breed.  But she was on task and moving like she was merely 9 or 10 years old.  On the back side of the 5k loop, I looked over to see her loping in sled dog form; with her tongue loosely swinging out of the side of her mouth, a big grin across her lips, trailing tail and her neck lengthened with her head forward.  Damn the inability to wear "runner" clothing and carry a camera/phone to capture a moment.  I pray the visual is burned so deeply into my soul and mind that I'll never forget it.  She looked like a real kennel/sled dog today too; grooming needed, and I mean seriously needed!  Dave hates to see her with tufts of hair waiting to be pulled or brushed away from her coat.  But to me, she looks like the sled dogs I remember from central New York State.  Hanging out on their dog houses in the dog yard/kennel area waiting for the next run - blowing coat with nobody worrying about making them pretty unless they had a conformation show to go to.

She was whelped at our home on January 18, 2000.  She was the first puppy born in our first (and only) litter.  Thus she became our "maiden voyage" and Madison became her call name.  Today, I think my pulse ran as fast as the moment I cut her cord.  I feel so blessed to still be enjoying the ride as much as I did when she was young and all we had were dreams; the memories just keep coming to fill new spots in my heart.

Our girl currently - sweet, sweet Madison
 

No comments:

Post a Comment