Sunday, February 17, 2013

Celebrating Three Months Together

Beautiful boy after 5+ trail miles at Kennesaw Mountain on this cold winter morning.


The morning of November 17th we brought Stetson home for a "test drive".  We didn't know if we could or wanted to live with an Australian Shepherd, but I was in immediate need of a running partner and he was looking for a retirement home from his show career.

We knew in less than 36 hours he was staying; I think it took him much longer to decide about us.  Over the past three months we've learned to run together and take care of each other on the road and trail.  We both needed conditioning.  He needed physical conditioning to be able to run distance and to take on the tough terrain of trails.  My broken heart needed conditioning.  I had to learn to open up for the future while honoring the memory of the past.  We have also dabbled in some dog sports that have helped bond us, and teach us to work as a team and trust each other.

Here are some of my favorite memories of the things that we've done together over the past three months - I can't wait to see what the next three, six, twelve...hold for us!

We began herding lessons - HOOKED!  I love watching his brain work on the task he was bred to do.
 
Stretching is an important part of injury prevention for human and canine - it took some time for him to trust me and allow me to manipulate him this way.
 
He went on his first trip in the RV over Christmas to Hilton Head - he was a very good traveler.
 
I had him entered in conformation to see if he enjoyed the ring as an indicator of whether I think I want to seek his AKC Grand Championship.
 
 
 
We are nearly half way through our first competition obedience class - again, HOOKED.  I've never done competitive obedience and watching his brain work through the tasks that I ask of him is amazing to me.
 
Sunrises are abundant on weekend runs; this is one of many we've seen at the Chattahoochee River
 
Sunrise on Hilton Head Island at the end of a "turning point" run; it was this run that I knew he was ready to increase mileage and I began to dream of trails on Kennesaw Mountain again.
 
He heard the ocean and tasted the salt of the sea for the first time.
 
He doesn't like to go outside to potty in the rain, but a downpour on New Years Day didn't keep him off task for a run at the river.
 
New memories were made today on the steps of the Illinois Monument - I honor the previous memories but I am at last willing to make new ones.
 
 
 
Thanks buddy, we're so grateful you're here.  You start every day giving us a giggle watching you wiggle and squirm waiting for breakfast and end each night with a warm snuggle.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment