Thursday, February 28, 2013

Coyote

My neighbor across the street called a little while ago to tell me she had just let her dogs out and a young coyote was in our front yard.  It was the second time she's seen it this week.  She seemed concerned the animal would come after my dogs.  I've never been particularly afraid of coyotes, perhaps because I don't have small dogs or a puppy.  It seems like they would be more vulnerable than my dogs who are nearly of equal size.  I'm right, aren't I, we're not targets for a hungry coyote?  There are bunnies and other small animals that would surely be better suited to them.  Regardless we will make sure both dogs go out together and that we are watching when they're outside, although the fence is a six foot privacy, so that too should work in our favor.

I'm sitting on the sofa with Maddie at my side writing this post and giggling at all the excuses I've had the past six weeks or so to not run consistently. I got off cycle in January when I came down with a crazy cold that just couldn't be shaken. For two weeks I couldn't breathe well so it made sense to stay in. I also began obedience classes with Stetson and have found it too easy to get wrapped up in heeling, pivots, boxes, sits, downs, stays...in the evenings. One thing led to another and one week turned into another.  I ran some, but it certainly hasn't been consistent. Great excuses, don't you think?   How convenient for my brain to have the seed of a new one planted, a coyote in the neighborhood...


Finishers Medals from my three previous half marathons

I've had the Allstate 13.1 Atlanta half marathon on my mind all evening. This is the only big road race I'm planning on for 2013.  It will be October 6th in Brookhaven, Georgia. I've run this race before and it is a good event. Several friends have invited me to join them in various "muddy" events and 5k races, but the venues and distances haven't inspired me. The exception to that would be the Ride N Run with Catherine, that is an event that I would rearrange my schedule for.  Otherwise, I need distance, it seems I am made for the longer races.

There's a magnet hanging on my refrigerator with a quote from John J. Bingham - "The miracle isn't that I finished.  The miracle is that I had the courage to start."  It seems to be particularly appropriate right now.  It is time to begin the miracle again.





 

1 comment:

  1. So frustrated with lack of info on the 2013 Ride and Run, ugh! Organizer said it was in the works, then no news.

    ReplyDelete