Sunday, March 3, 2013

Madison the Surprise Partner



We've been partners in all kinds of adventures these past thirteen years
It was so tempting to stay inside today and not venture out in the wind.   But we bundled up and headed out for a jaunt around the neighborhood anyway.  I decided to take a hard fast walk instead of running today, hoping I could avoid the "frozen to the bone" feeling you get once you've worked up a sweat and then get slapped by a gust of cold wind.  Since we haven't been on the road regularly these past six weeks or so, Stetson and I are playing a little "catch up" in the endurance area, so it seemed like a good opportunity for a little conditioning instead of a hard workout.  It won't take long to get built back up, probably by the end of this week I'll hardly notice the time off. 


He's become an amazing partner and companion in such a short time together!

I planned on doing the typical three miles with Stetson and Dave was going to take Maddie home after a mile and a half.  After we split from Dave and Madison, Stetson kept looking over his shoulder and trying to circle behind me.  I was a little irritated with him as I tried without success to get him refocused.  We were almost to the top of the hill before I turned back to see what he was trying to investigate.  Jogging up the hill behind us was Dave and Maddie.  She was pulling like mad to catch up.  He said after they turned to head home, she stopped in the road and turned around watching us go away.  When given the choice of where to go, she took off up the hill after us.  She had this huge grin on her face that brought tears to my eyes. 

We cut the second lap a little shorter than normal because she looked a little fatigued, but we finished all together today.  My heart always sings when I'm on a hike, or run, or walk with the dogs and Dave, but the song today was filled with a little more gratitude.

She likes her privacy to unwind after a run 



No comments:

Post a Comment