Sunday, April 28, 2013

Balancing Act

I am completely hooked on Stetson.  He is an amazing partner in EVERYTHING we've set out to do these past five months.  He is becoming as enjoyable a running partner as Mira was - and those are large paws to fill.  With a good amount of conditioning, I think he'll take me further into the summer months than she did.  He enjoys the run, somehow he seems to understand that this is the connection we were meant to make; sneakers, leash and pavement or a dusty trail.


After a three mile run and snack last week at the Chattahoochee River
 
He has taught me that the delicate details of competition obedience are as much "eye candy" as his stride when we run.  Until Stetson, I had no inclination or curiosity about Obedience.  But I am hooked now, at least with this dog.  He puts a lot of heart into this sport.  I have come to think of Obedience as I do dressage; it's the nuance of movement, mental connection and teamwork that makes the exercises a joy to watch.


Waiting to begin a heeling pattern



Most recently we have begun agility classes.  I didn't see myself back in competition, ever.  I just thought I'd moved into a different phase of life where there wouldn't be time for it anymore.  But, since I'd decided I wanted to get a Versatility title on him, I need the NA and NAJ agility titles.  So we began classes, primarily to see if he had any desire and/or skills that could be developed.  Ha! On the third class night, I knew I was back in this sport too.  He not only has a desire to please, he has probably as much drive as Madison or Nakeeta for the obstacles.  Being extremely food motivated, there was not a moment of hesitation on the teeter the first time we took him over a lowered teeter (gently lowering it at the tip point).  My mind was kind of blown last week and my heart was racing.  I think I'm back in it with a super partner.

Now I have found myself deep into figuring out how to balance the sporting needs of both of us.  We are out of the house back to back nights for training.  Tuesday is Agility followed by Wednesday Obedience class.  I am a short distance triathlete, and have my mind set on another half marathon in October this year.  That's a lot of variation in time consuming activities.  So after a little contemplation, I've come up with the following schedule:

Monday - run night, obedience work/practice (weather permitting)
Tuesday - morning before work swim, evening agility class
Wednesday - morning before work swim, evening obedience class
Thursday - run night, obedience work/practice
Friday - morning before work swim, evening off and dinner out with the man of my dreams
Saturday - morning long run, obedience work/practice
Sunday - spin or bike ride, obedience work/practice

As soon as I get some agility equipment from my good friend Catherine Ford, I'll throw some agility work in there too.  The one thing that is missing from the schedule is herding.  I love herding, if I had too, I'd give up agility to pursue herding, but I think I can figure out something here.  It will depend on being able to connect with Amy Burnette on evenings and/or weekends that she is home to play with dogs and sheep.

I will be forever grateful to Stetson for grabbing my heart and bringing me back from the darkest time of grief after the unexpected death of Mira.  He is a once in a lifetime dog.



We were pretty new to each other in the picture on the beach, but somehow I think we both knew that wonderful things were in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment