Sunday, April 7, 2013

Recovery Runs


Stetson is healing - or maybe he's healed already.  But he is definitely not conditioned at the same place he was before the toe injury.  He didn't really get a chance to work back up to his previous level because we suddenly had to shift our "caretaker" role to Madison and it's been absolutely crazy around here since.

I started running with him again and was building mileage back up when she got hurt.  The picture above is after one of his recovery runs, I think he is such a handsome animal.  I don't think I'll ever tire of looking at him. Still, or in motion, he is simply beautiful.


I was taking the dogs to drop them off at our Vet's office on a Tuesday morning when I rushed and called him into the house before Madison had safely cleared the sliding door from the patio into the dining room.  In the next flash of my life, I witnessed her being wrapped around the slider door as he pushed into the house.  And then, as a result of my scream I am sure, he backed out of the door.  She finished coming into the house and turned toward me; in that same instant he flew through the door and hit her broadside.  She went down and the result was a bruised 13 year old dog.

The trauma from the accident/injury threw her previously manageable dementia symptoms into a full-blown situation.  I left my home for work two days after the incident with a typically happily crated dog in a screaming, crying hissy fit with eyes that were glazed over and "checked out".  Stetson was left crated next to this "beast" who replaced his new found best friend.  He was stressed to say the least.  Thanks to treatment and guidance from Union Hill Animal Hospital owner/veterinarian and staff, we were able to successfully bring Madison back to a relatively normal mental state.  We are so grateful to know that we have yet more time with this magnificent being that has lit our lives up for the past thirteen years.  Our gratitude can never be fully expressed.

In the meantime, runs with anyone and training of any kind were put on the back burner; and the burner was not lit.  All that we focused on was working toward her brain recovery and a little stress relief for Stetson. 

His stress relief came in the form of heeling work and fronts, with some downs, sits and stays added in where possible.  Now, all these weeks later, we are nearly back up to a three mile run during the week.  I hope we can push ahead and make strides this week with two three milers and maybe a four or five on the weekend.  We'll see, let's just hope the recovery continues and the injuries remain at bay.  The last picture is of Madison just a few days before her injury.  Sweet, sweet girl.  We had been out for a run and she was in "recovery" mode waiting for her "jackpot".  I love her spirit!



No comments:

Post a Comment