Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Inspiration and Motivation

All runners run into motivation issues at one point or another and the "issue" differs for each person.  For one it may be getting out of a warm bed and hitting the road at 5 am.  Others find 90 degree temps with 49% humidity unbearable.  The problems are as varied as the sneakers we lace onto our feet.

My motivation is pretty deep and self involved - I'm pretty good at making this about me.  In many areas of my life folks would call that arrogance, self absorption, selfish...but it is a gift when it comes to running and triathlon training.  If I couldn't make this sport about me, I'm not sure anything would be worth what I'm putting into it.

Inspiration is another thing all together.  I'm moved by the runners who have survived cancer, limb loss, push their child in a wheelchair ahead of them and often find myself swallowed in tears when I read their stories or see their biographies.  But honestly, they don't inspire me to start - I may dig deeper when I'm exhausted because of one of their stories, but they are not the ones who get me out the door.  My inspiration is my dogs.  The dogs that I live with and the ones who have gone ahead of them and wait for the rest of us on the other side of the bridge.

Running began as a means to condition them.  When I began to run (jog/walk/gasp/walk) I was still smoking.  I'd take two dogs out for a mil and then have to sit for about 20 minutes and have a couple of cigarettes before heading out with the next two.  It was a labor of love combined with ignorance.

I sat down tonight to write about running and what it means to me.  As I laid my hands on the keyboard I couldn't help but notice an empty nagging feeling inside.  In frustration I wheeled around in my chair and glanced at all the gorgeous mementos of the years with my dogs surrounding me in my office.  For the first time, I noticed there was nothing in this office of Mira.  Maddie, Magic, Nakeeta, Kody, Max and BoBo are everywhere.  I am surrounded by their pictures and awards hanging on the walls and sitting on shelves.  Nowhere in this office was there a single shot of the one who makes me smile without even seeing her face.  I spent a few minutes searching for a couple of empty frames and I now have a shot of Mira at the beach and a shot of her RWB from Perry, GA years ago on either side of my PC.  The nagging sensation is gone.

Inspiration to find my motivation; that's my dog, my Mira.  She and Maddie inspire me to let myself go, to ignore all that I think I should be and embrace all that I really am.  They inspire me to dig deep within my soul to become all that I can be.  Find your inspiration, it doesn't have to be a hero, just give yourself permission to follow your inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment