Thursday, April 26, 2012

Traveling Sneakers

We leave Saturday for vacation.  Dave, Maddie, Mira and Me.  All piled into the RV with the SUV in tow.

I'm excited to be going home - back to my roots with my people, my relatives, my blood.  All I am, good or bad began in this place we are traveling to.  All that I hope to be was born there.  I am grateful that I can step back in time to a place where I can be grounded in my roots.  I don't return as penance, or because I want to be different from who I have evolved to be.  Going back home to me is a way to retrace the steps I've taken along this journey we call life.  It is good to know where you came from, not with praise nor blame, just a place of knowing what is that allowed me to create what I am and design who I will yet be.

Having Dave with me will be especially sweet   He hasn't been home in four years.  I've made this trip alone those years.  His family isn't there anymore; his daughter is away in a home of her own and his sister is on the opposite coast from us.  He's bound to this place only by his own beginnings and that it is the peaceful resting place of his parents.  For him, my family is what remains to be experienced in this place.

The lake we are camping at has miles and miles of trails to run and roads to cycle.  For me, being in the RV with the dogs makes it easy to maintain a schedule of running and cycling.  The only exercise the girls get when we are on the road is when they are with us, so you just get out and go without any question, there are no other options.  Many people say they don't want to be "chained" down to a routine like that and they don't have a dog for that reason.  This extra demand on my time is one of the reasons I have dogs.  I find the structure and pace somehow frees me.  Nothing cures an ailment like a pair of sneakers and a dog trotting along next to me.  All my cares are lifted as my heart rate climbs and tapers and climbs again and again until I've moved beyond the stress and fatigue and  into a state of pure relaxation. 

Pavement, sneakers and a dog by my side; life is fabulous! I'm filled with the anticipation of new trails to explore and roads to follow next week. 



No comments:

Post a Comment