Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Whole New World

Dave had plans today, and I had a scheduled session with Stetson's breeder (a new friend), Amy Burnette to see what herding was all about.  Maddie doesn't like to be left out or left home alone.  Soooo, Madison loaded into the truck along with Stetson and I, and we were off to see what we could do with livestock.

I had no idea what to expect - sheep, goats, ducks...I seriously had no clue what I was going to experience today; but I knew I had to see what this dog would do in the environment he was bred to thrive in.

There we were at eleven o'clock this morning; he was wearing his harness (totally inappropriate, but what did I know), I was in shorts two tops and sneakers (also mostly inappropriate; my legs and ankles were exposed and apparently most susceptible to injury, but I typically roll with legs exposed and upper body covered, it's a runner thing, so it seemed okay to me at the time).

We began by watching an experienced dog bring goats into a small pen, which would be our work area.  Then Amy and the dog worked on intricate details of the process with the goats.  We watched another woman bring sheep into the pen, the goats were put up and the sheep were worked by her and then a dog who was equally as inexperienced as Stetson (by Amy).  Amazingly, Amy was able to work the dog and give me pointers as I observed from outside the pen.  At last it was our turn; I had the choice to work him in the pen myself, or watch him be worked for the first time by Amy.  She was very open to either option, and I decided without much thought to go in myself.

I only have a couple of pictures and they actually have nothing to do with the main event today, but they are cute anyway.

Can't see it here, but he was barking at the sheep being worked by another dog; very nice exhibit of drive
 

She was none too happy when we took "her dog" and put him away before he got to work
We moved Stetson from the outdoor runs to indoors in order to save his enthusiasm for the job before it was his turn to work.  Madison was having nothing to do with separation from her new buddy; she kicked into my "high drive working bitch" that I've loved, and struggled with, for nearly thirteen years each time she was separated from him. Actually, it's not as personal toward him as she makes it seem; she's not afraid he's not coming back, she's more angry that someone else it getting action and she's left in a crate or kennel - but she's adorable nonetheless, and she does make it seem like it's about separation. Her noise was deafening to me, but the gracious people, Amy included, were not visibly annoyed by her behaviour.

Herding is a spectator sport for Madison

Stetson, well, my goodness what a nice dog he is!  He walked into the pen with sheep for the first time, with me on the other end of his rope, another first time situation, and he controlled the situation very well.  He seemed to recognize I might be ultimately in charge, and was willing to let me lead.  Amy told me before we started that I needed to watch the livestock and not the dog; it made sense, we were there to control the livestock after all.  She also said to watch their heads, you control them by the head and not from behind.  Again, that was logical to me because I'd watched them be "driven" (my words) from the rear and their heads lead them to where they ultimately ended up...  Okay, I could do that I thought, or I hoped.

Well, we did!  I don't have a "lie down" or even a "down" command with him yet - but he knows "whoa" because I am adamant about control when we run/walk and I use a slow, low, firm "whoa" to stop my dogs from jerking me in uncertain terrain or situations, such as down a mountain, (not funny, but you can laugh, I've been drug down a portion of Red Top with screaming Siberians before I learned that they had to know "whoa") so it was easy for me to keep him standing, but stopped.  We will have to learn "lie down" for herding, obedience, agility and the rest of life; but for today "whoa" worked fine.

He trusted me to be in charge today and I trusted myself to watch the livestock and feel the dog at the other end of the rope.  I think we all had a ball!  I'm so grateful for this experience, I cannot wait for the next time we get out.  I know his complete sweetness will wear off as he "feels his oats" so to speak, and gets more confident, but OMG (yes, I said that, OMG) it was a blast.

So very grateful that my friend Trish McCabe directed me to Coolmore Australian Shepherds and Amy Burnette.  Stetson and I have so many memories to make!  Tonight I'll fall asleep reciting over and over, "walk up"; "whoa"; "that'll do".

We're not running tonight, I seem to be the only one in the house still living on a rush - the dogs are sleeping and cozy so I'll let them be until tomorrow when we hit the pavement and work on endurance and getting it together for the one thing I knew we would be doing together, running!  Rest well little buddy, we're back on tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment