Friday, August 9, 2013

Race Pictures

The race pictures are out and the story they tell is sweet.  They will give some special memories as time and other races pass me by.



It is finished, I met the goal of not resting at any of the kayaks
 
There are tears in my eyes in the above picture.  I have worked so hard to learn to swim and have been so determined to become a triathlete who is competent in all three sports.  This was a gigantic step for me.  In the following picture, I've already looked at my watch and know that I am only two minutes off my goal pace. By now, my mind has already raced forward to Lanier and I've begun setting my time goal for the swim, there is no longer doubt...


Have seen my watch and am happy with my time
The photographer had nobody on the bike course and I am really sorry that I have no pictures from that leg.  It was a phenomenal ride.  By the time I got started on the bike my confidence was beginning to soar.  Then I began finding women ahead of me who had passed me in the water.  I began to chase and take over some younger women.  It is a great feeling to know that you can regain some ground lost on one leg during the next.  All my bike training has been done on a spinner at the gym, so to be close to my goal time on the bike gave me another emotional boost going into the run.

I expected to spend the first mile walking on the run because I hadn't focused much on bike to run bricks.  It was kind of assumed that my quads and hamstrings would be in a gripe session for a bit once I got out of the saddle.  To my surprise, the legs were working much better than expected and I began a slow jog earlier than anticipated.  I never picked up a pace better than a slow jog though, and it cost me dearly in my overall finish time.  Had I been properly prepared for the transition, I would have easily taken back all the lost time in the water and hit my overall finish time goal.  Easy fix, just have to train smarter these next six weeks before Lanier.

It was fun to have people at the finish line I knew, but I had no idea Dave would be there.  I was headed down the chute and checking out my time on the big board when I hear his voice from the sidelines.  I am tearing now as I recall the moment.  Several nights this week when I've closed my eyes, I have heard his voice excitedly calling my name from the side.  His support and love never ceases to amaze me.  The first picture below shows my delight when I heard his voice.



The thrill of hearing Dave at the finish!






No comments:

Post a Comment