Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Journey

I have heard it said that true pleasure and satisfaction in your goal destination can only come in having enjoyed the journey.  This afternoon I sit at my laptop thinking about how much I've enjoyed the preparation for the Acworth Women's Sprint Triathlon tomorrow.  I am naturally reflective about the beginning of this endeavor, this path if you will, and how many intersections I've come through.  Sometimes I changed direction onto new roads leading me to ever more new places.  Places I either didn't want to go, or didn't realize I would enjoy if I were to go there.

Mira was my first Siberian who didn't have a "show" career of some sort.  We dabbled in conformation, but I really dislike the game and it was easy for me to decide her long loin and pink nose weren't worth the money it would take to finish her.  I didn't relate to the way her brain worked for agility, she questioned everything and it drove me mad after working with drivey Siberians all the years before.  She is the only dog I ever put away because I really didn't enjoy working with her.  Movement on the other hand was a different story, she was a lovely mover and she was light as a feather on her feet.  Those two things made her a fine running partner.  And so it begins, my love of the run.  My love of running with a dog for pleasure and health.

Pretty mover, even in a tracking harness

She never tired of the trail or road.  I learned to trust her to find the solid path on rocky terrain and gently snake around corners and debris.  I built my confidence with her next to me.  I learned how to support myself and a canine partner on both the road and trail.


Always ready to go

  After she was taken by cancer so suddenly in November, I stated "she was the wind beneath my feet" and I will always feel that way about her.  Stetson came into my life so quickly afterward that there were days I barely had time to think about the robbery that had just taken place on my soul.  He has been an open book and I have learned to open myself up to both dog sports I thought I was finished with years ago, and dog sports that I never considered before.

He is a willing partner in all that we have taken on together.  His open heart and willing attitude have given me the courage to step outside of my comfort zone and take some training and push myself to be better than I've ever been. I've challenged myself to condition for this triathlon more thoroughly than I have before.  I hired a coach and have decided to beat the fear of open water swimming that has previously held me to the end of the finish line.  I'm not sure this drive would not have come out for me had I not been forced to turn myself from a shredded mess into a thriving person in the blink of an eye.
 
This race is to honor you buddy. Thanks for showing me how to open up, let go and let in.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment