Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Stetson - Poop Bag Terrorism

We took Stetson and Maddie to the river today.  I figured it would be a good opportunity to proof squirrels and maybe see some bicycles.

He has no issue with bicycles.  Those we met on-coming he barely even noticed.   I heard a couple approaching from behind at one point and was able to turn so he saw them before they were on us, at any rate he didn't seem to even be curious about them.  We saw a few kids in strollers and he didn't pay attention to those either.

There were plenty of squirrels and he was much easier to reign in than Maddie (no big surprise, bouncing silly dog that she is).  I have felt the power of him lunging at speed to the end of the leash and am doing my best to make darn sure I am alert, thus able to stay safe.  Falling on him would be worse for him than me.

But maybe all that "calmness" was because he spent his adrenaline almost immediately upon leaving the parking area and beginning the path.  I forgot to reload poop bags in the truck after we were out Monday, so we stopped at the dispenser at the trail head to get three or four.  Dave had Stetson and I had Maddie.  Dave reached up to pull a bag out of the dispenser and the whole pole seemed to lean over him and then the roll of bags began flying out of it.  Stetson took a half look up at the monstrosity heading his way and hit the end of his lead hard.  I'm amazed Dave's shoulder isn't sore this evening from the sudden jerk.

Thankfully I decided to use a tracking harness on Stetson when he first arrived, knowing that if he spooked and slipped a flat collar we were not going to be his safety net for some time yet.  I was afraid he would get away and we'd lose him.  The harness and Gripper Leash (love those leashes) held him while Dave managed to unwrap some poop bags to stow away and we were off.


Rest well little buddy, it's been a big day!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment