Sunday, November 4, 2012

2 Strikes of Aggression

Today was unfortunately the 2nd strike against a specific aggressive dog in the past 6 months - I have no patience and I have no apologies for my lack of tolerance.

A few months ago while riding our bikes we had a neighbor walking her dog who took out after me on the bike and she laughed as she said "Lilly, you can't have the biker..."  I stopped and let her have it verbally.  She puller her dog in (flexi lead) and that was that.

This is Sunday, long run day...Dave and I took Mira and Maddie for a mile and half, then I finished three with Mira.  After I dropped her back at the house because it was humid and relatively warm for a Siberian, I took out for three miles solo.

I got winded on my second run  up Inlet and began walking.  I saw a woman walking two dogs ahead of me.  As I always do, I called out to see if the dog were friendly...she said if I were running Lilly, the lab would chase me.  So I took the opposite side of the road and walked slower...  We chatted as she told me about Lilly and how they had her in training because she liked to chase runners and bikes.  As I passed (again, other side of the road and walking slowly), she said "look, she likes you..."

I didn't know the dog was right behind me, apparently moron owner let the flexi extend.  The next thing I hear before I even see the dog (still walking mind you) is a growl, I feel the sting of the bite and hear my shorts rip to almost the waist.  Much cussing from me, apologies from her...and I demand she get the flexi pulled in so I can get the hell away from them.  At that flashing moment, I recognize the eyes of the dog, and remember this is the idiot owner with the dog that chased me on my bike a few months back.  Now I'm boiling mad and as I trot off putting distance between us, I demand to know if the dog is current on shots and she promises she is. I then made her point out her house before I hustled down the road.



Because I'm a typical freak runner, I look at the wound, decide I'm not bleeding much and it's going to be bruised more than anything, so I may as well finish the run rather than turning for home.  I made the turn for my last mile and there's this woman next to me in her vehicle with the receipt and rabies certificate for Lilly...  I slowed down, looked at her and said, "that's fine, but I'm reporting this.";  "why, why would you do that?" she asks.   I muttered "because it's the right thing to do, you know you have an aggression issue"  At which time she says, "they aren't going to do anything with her" and I said, "it doesn't matter, I'm reporting this, she bit me, it cannot go unreported it is aggression".    With that she drove off.

When Animal Control came to the house to take my statement we discussed medical treatment...and I told him I'd already cleaned it up, I've had my Tdap vaccine very recently and we agreed I was good to not seek additional medical care.  He was going to go get Lilly and begin her quarantine this afternoon.  I will get a  call when the quarantine is over to let me know if the dog has been returned...  I expect it will, unless they owner elects to not pay the boarding fees for quarantine.

I know there are risks that I take when I leave for a run or a ride or for that matter a swim.  I understand I may get hurt, maybe badly, but I am unwilling to excuse a true aggression issue.  This was a cheap shot by the dog and the owner didn't have to be so stupid about it.  I have battled the decision to report it all afternoon.  I keep pushing guilt down and fighting it with reason, with my desire to be safe in my neighborhood and for my neighbors and their animals and children to be safe.


 

2 comments:

  1. No apologies, you did the right thing. I'm so sorry this happened to you, but so glad this wasn't a little tiny kid riding a tricycle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me so angry!!!! Good for you for standing up for yourself. People are so stupid!!!

    ReplyDelete